Thursday, January 21, 2016

El Hornito

I just got back from El Hornito (the lil oven), a restaurant down the street that's quickly turning into my go-to. It's completely open to the air, and since it gets pretty cold here in the mountains at night, the servers could tell that Enya, Alex, and I were a little chilly. So they brought out three blankets and laid them across our shoulders. Needless to say we left a solid tip!

Seriously, the people here are the best. Anything I've needed, even if I haven't asked for it, has been graciously provided. Since I'm taking three classes in Spanish, my professors have offered aids to help me through. And everyone I talk to (especially the ones that have to endure my fumbling Spanglish) greets me with a smile... and if they're female, a kiss on the cheek. It just seems to be the pace of life here. And it's something that I really love.

Out of my four classes, there is one in particular that I want to write about today: History of Contemporary Mexico. It's less of a history class, and more of a politics class. More specifically, contemporary Mexican politics, and the history of how the country became what it is today. The class is taught by Dr. Eduardo González, who many consider to be the best professor here. And while the course isn't easy, I'm learning exactly what I came here to learn: what exactly is going on south of the border? It's not all pretty, believe me. But it is exposing me to the true soul of this country.

AND NOW LOOK AT MY PICTURES
Lago de Chapala

Puerto Vallarta

Puerto Vallarta (big ol' rocks)

Chapultepec

Climbing gym wit da homies

Tlaquepaque

Sergio Bustamante Art Gallery

Me squinting into that fire Mexican sun

No comments:

Post a Comment